Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Brain Has Been Otherwise Occupied

Last week was Taxmas Time like Christmas at our house. New books arrived daily from the UPS man, or the Fed Ex guy or the Spee-Dee delivery truck because of our annual curriculum buying spree. We watched the tracking numbers online and followed the packages from their destinations to our doorstep. The longest leg of the journey seemed to be "On truck for delivery".

History suggested that we'd be the last drop off of the day, so we'd sit with our noses pressed to the windows perking up at every diesel sound for blocks. All day, not accomplishing much but waiting. Because, you know, if you step in the shower, there will be a delivery needing a signature. Or, if you run to the gas station, you'll find a note on your door return stating delivery confirmation was needed........

This year, our biggest order arrived at 8AM! We had hardly finished breakfast when we heard the truck out front. (As evidenced by the uneaten bagel in the midst of packing material.)
In the past, I have been know to hog all the box opening fun for myself, wanting to make sure everything that was supposed to be there was, was my excuse

This year I thought I'd let the kids have the fun IF they would follow a few simple rules. No books were to leave the living room. I let them empty all the boxes and paw through all the new books while I finished my breakfast.

Then and only then did I get out the packing slip and sit down to separate the books into their appropriate piles. The older boys helped me sort...


...while I shooed the little boys into the bedroom to watch TV.

Hey, I've come along way with my BDD (Box Dominance Disorder) and plus...they ASKED me to tape the boxes shut. Honest!


Soooo, that is where I've been. My creative energy has been channeled into turning the massive piles of books into a meaningful year of learning for 5 children. And I am trying to get a head start on all their reading...

...but as you can see, I'm already behind...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! I love box day! It makes me want to order core 5! Those box children are quite cute. Will you be offering them on ebay once you are done with them?
Deb

Jesusfreak said...

I wish I could scare you and mention that children in boxes are like children in Dog cages, but all my children have played in BOTH!

Anonymous said...

That photo of the kids sitting in boxes CRACKED me up. We have box love here too. :)

Blessings!